eBay has changed a lot in the past few years. I have no desire to buy or sell anything on it anymore because it seems to be way more hit or miss than it ever was. Things I dislike about eBay in its current form:
- Buy It Now - This seems to cause a lot of listings to just appear and never go anywhere. Post on craigslist if you have a specific asking price.
- Automatic Shipping Charge Calculation - eBay now automatically calculates shipping charges for you when you buy something. Not only does this suck for the seller, but it also forces you to use UPS. What if I don't want to use UPS? I always offered buyers the option of FedEx, UPS, or USPS. The automatic calculation does not take in to account the fact that sellers need to buy boxes and other packing materials to make sure your crap arrives intact. That was always added in to the shipping costs. Usually a couple of dollars.
- Forced PayPal - PayPal is frustrating. I have an account and have had one since they first started. Early on it was ok, but now that eBay doesn't really offer sellers a choice, I like it even less. If someone buys something from me for $50, PayPal gets a portion of that. Sorry. And don't forget you also lose money on your shipping and handling charges. Hope you don't care about that either.
- Stores Running Their Business Through Ebay - Get your own web site. Or, at least make decent looking eBay listings. All caps, centered, bold, italics, 32 point font is not easy to read.
- No Money Orders - I always preferred money orders when I was buying or selling. Now it doesn't seem like you can do that anymore. Have to use PayPal. Money orders were insured, guaranteed, and cost little compared to PayPal.